Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Zesty Pimento Cheese



In my book, a sure sign of fall is chili for supper.  The temperatures have been quite nippy as of late up here, so I decided that it was time to break out the chili pot.  Chili is even on the menu board for the week, so it just has to be fall!!
 
Now in our house, you can't eat chili without some homemade pimento cheese.  This is a recipe I started making about two years ago. In that time, I am confident that I have never made it the same way twice.  Why?  Because,  measuring and I don't really get along.  I usually just eyeball the amounts and taste test.  However, this recipe is pretty close...I think:)
Ingredients:
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (Shred it yourself, don't used the pre-shredded)
4 oz mild cheddar cheese, shredded
4 oz Velveeta cheese (Shredding Velveeta is like herding cats..it doesn't work very well.  So use the pre-shredded kind)
1/2 cup mayo
2 tbsp. vinegar
1 tbsp. sugar
2-3 tsp. Frank's Hot Sauce (depends on how spicy you want it to taste)
1 jar of pimentos, drained and rinsed
salt and pepper to taste

 Any of these amounts can be adjusted to your family's taste!

1.  Shred all of the cheeses, mix together, and set aside.
2.  In a small bowl, mix the mayo, vinegar, sugar, hot sauce, pimentos, and salt and pepper.
3.  Pour mayo mixture over the cheese and mix well.
4.  Refrigerate.  Can be served with crackers or as a sandwich, grilled or cold.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment