Friday, September 14, 2012

What's For Lunch?



With school recently starting, the debate of school lunch vs. home lunch was a topic of discussion.  I would prefer to pack a lunch...it is more nutritious, cheaper, and portion controlled.  However, my lunchtime creativity was generally limited to a sandwich or a Lunchable.  Both become redundant and boring.  The only fun and unexpected surprise to lunch would be a little note left to Abby each day.

This school year, I am committed to trying new lunch ideas to provide something fun and nutritious for Abby.  Here are a few of lunches I have packed this year.  Some were my ideas and some were modifications of Pinterest finds.

Homemade Lunchables

Abby loves Lunchables, but hates cheese!!  So I was paying $2.50 for a meal that was only partially eaten.  So I decided to make my own.  I found some great containers at Kitchen Connections that are both colorful and roomy.  Of course, the possibilities are endless with this idea.

I used ham, crackers, stawberries, pineapple, cookie sandwiches, and a Capri Sun.

Sandwich Sushi
I removed  the crust off of the bread and flattened it out (tortillas is a great alternative.)  I spread some ranch dressing on the bread, but you could also use cream cheese.  Fill with your kids favorite things such as ham, turkey, carrots, cucumbers, etc.  Roll the bread up and slice into small sushi-like spirals.  Abby thought it was really fun.

"Uncrustables"
Wonder bread makes a handy-dandy sandwich sealer that is VERY reasonable.  I ordered mine from Amazon for around $6.00.  The premade sandwiches in the frozen section at the grocery is just not very good and the amount of jelly is overwhelming.  With this option, I can control how much jelly is in the sandwich

.Amazon Wonder Bread Sandwich Sealer

PB&J Rollups 
Similar to the sushi idea, except you add peanut butter and jelly as the filling, roll it up, and slice.



Abby still eats a school lunch every now and then, but she also likes her homemade lunches!!


Another great idea to streamline the morning is to make mini muffins on Sunday for the week.  I generally place four mini muffins in a snack size plastic bag.



No comments:

Post a Comment