Saturday, September 15, 2012

Not-From-A-Box Pancakes

 
Growing up, my mom had quite a reputation for making the BEST homemade pancakes.  The neighbor kids would come over any time she made them.  In fact, one neighbor boy wrestled in high school and had to follow a strict diet in order to maintain his weight.  As soon as wrestling season was over, he would come to the house and mom would make him a WHOLE batch of pancakes and he would gobble them all up.

When Josh and I got married, I didn't inherit her skills of making pancakes and resorted to making "boxed" pancakes.  I followed this practice for the last eight years.  This past weekend, I went to the pantry and discovered there was NO pancake mix.  Now, I already had in my mind that I wanted pancakes and it is hard to change my stomach mind.  Crazy enough, I thought about my mom's pancakes but didn't call her.  (My dad works night shift and Saturday mornings are about the only time they get to spend together.  I didn't want to bother her with a recipe.)  So like so many others, I headed to the internet to find a recipe.  I looked at several and finally modified enough of them to come up with my own recipe.  What a hit!!!  Josh, who isn't even really a fan of pancakes, even loved them.  They are almost as good as mom's!  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. sugar
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 egg
1 tbsp. vanilla

1. Combine dry ingredients together.
2.  Add milk, egg, oil, and vanilla.  Mix with whisk until smooth.
3. Heat non-stick skillet (no need to oil)
4.  Pour pancakes into hot skillet.  (I like smaller sized pancakes, but make them any size you want.)
5.  Turn when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.  Second side will not take as long.

No comments:

Post a Comment