Wednesday, September 19, 2012

F-A-L-L Door Decoration

 
F-A-L-L--some cute little letters hanging from a door.  Simple, right?  Whatever!  No craft is simple for me.  I found the inspiration over at www.sandandsisal.com and decided that I wanted to tackle this idea.  I quickly looked the tutorial over and dashed off to Michael's and bought the necessary supplies. I must confess, I am similar to a man in the respect that I just looked at a picture and didn't really read the tutorial!!  Then once I actually read the directions, I realized I was supposed to use scrapbook paper, tissue paper, and something called Mod-Podge...it was like reading a foreign language.  I almost gave up in defeat, but decided against it.  So, I decided to abandon the directions and try it my own way.

Well.....apparently I am not even talented enough to mix primary colors.  My "lime" green I was attempting to create was more of a "split-pea soup" green and the orange was a pastel peach.  What a mess!!  But I had committed to the project and decided to finish it as planned.  It didn't turn out quite as horrible as I first thought, but it could definitely be improved.  (A side note for anyone who would like to try this...don't paint with a six-month old on your hip.  It can be hazardous to the health of all involved, including the kitchen counter:)


Necessary supplies:
Michael's was sold out of the large letters, so I had to settle for the smaller mdf letters.  Also, I should have just bought the exact colors I wanted, instead of trying to mix my own.  Remember, you could use fabric or paper to cover the letters.  Also, burlap could be a cute alternative to the ribbon for hanging purposes.


I painted the letters using both solid colors and patterns.  It is totally up to you.  Let the creative juices flow!!



We live in the basement unit of our condo building, so we have an extra exterior door.  (The upstairs units have a window in this location.)  Although I could have hung the letters on the front door, I would have only seen them as I entered the house PLUS they would have been banging on the door every time it was opened.  So my letters are actually on the interior of the door.  I simply tied the ribbon around the letters and attached the other end to the top of the door using a heavy-duty staple gun. (You could also use the Command hooks, but attach them upside down.)  This door is right next to our main entrance door (yes, I know that sounds weird), so it is a nice welcome into our home.  There is a bookshelf located right next to the door, so I decorated the top of it as well. :)  I like how this project made our "temporary" condo home feel more like our "real" home, even if it was exactly what I had imagined!!

      
   

   
Rachel

2 comments: