Thursday, January 17, 2013

Vegetable Beef Soup



I have to be honest...this mountain winter, so far, has been unimpressive!!!  No snow, not even that cold of temperatures!!  But, the always trusty weatherman (insert laugh here) has predicted a snowfall ranging from 4-8 inches for the area.  Less than what I would have thought a mountain winter would consist of, but hey, I'll take it!!!

Snow days and soup go together like peas and carrots, peanut butter and jelly, Jenny and Forrest, sweet tea and Uncle Si (love Duck Dynasty).  This soup is nothing fancy, but it is a great way to warm up after playing in the snow.

Gather your ingredients:
1 package of frozen mixed vegetables
1 can of condensed tomato soup
1 can of Campbell's French onion soup
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chunked (basically chopped, but not too thin)
3-4 potatoes, chopped
3/4 lb ground beef
Salt and Pepper to taste

Brown the hamburger WITH the onions.  (Fresh garlic would be good too, but I didn't use any)

Drain the fat off of the browned hamburger.

Add the condensed soups.  Rinse out both cans with about 1/2 can of water and add to soup.

Add potatoes, tomatoes, and frozen vegetables.  Add either water or beef stock until soup gets to the consistency you like.  You could also add more cans of the condensed soup as well.  Both have a lot of flavor in them, so use a couple!!

Stir all ingredients together and simmer for 2-3 hours.  Yumlicious will be the word to describe how good your house will smell.  Add salt and pepper to your personal taste.  This recipe requires A LOT of taste testing, but I'm not complaining!!:)

Serve with cornbread.  YUM!!!

Rachel

2 comments:

  1. Giving up on any snow days here, but I think I will have to make this soup!! BTW, I move my family blog to a new address. I haven't posted much yet, but I will! http://ourgoodlife-sarahstrader.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I will update mine today with your new address!! Hope all is well with you! Whatbisnso craxy about this snow is we got eight inches in FOUR hours!

      Delete