Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Mod-podge Clipbaords



Ah....clipboards!!!  As a teacher, I used them for several different things in the classroom.  But they are generally so, well, blah!!  That is, until, one of my favorite (I know a teacher isn't supposed to have favorites, but this girl was special) students, Elise, gave me a fancy clipboard.  She had glued some cute scrapbook paper to the front of the clipboard, tied a ribbon to the top, and had a sticker with my initial.  Really cute!!  Although I don't teach anymore, I still use that clipboard on a  regular basis.  I decided to give Abby's teachers the same gifts for Christmas.  I hope they will get as much use out of the clipboard as I did.





I purchased a pack of wooden clipboards (package of 3), scrapbook paper, mod-podge, letter stickers, and ribbon (not pictured.).

The hardest part of this project is measuring the paper.  There are two methods.  You can trace the clipboard outline and then trim off the excess once it has dried (generally the edges are filed for a smooth finish) or you can cut the paper slightly smaller then the clipboard and attach paperK.  This will leave the edges of the clipboard exposed.  If that bothers you, simply paint the clipboard first,allow to dry,and then attach paper.  I chose the second method, but didn't paint the clipboard first.


I also made sure the corners were rounded like the clipboard.


Once the paper was measured and cut, I applied a layer of mod-podge to the clipboard using a foam brush.  I discovered that too much of the mod-podge was better than not enough.  The excess can always be wiped away.


As soon as the paper is applied to the clipboard, smooth it out.  Although I could have used my hands, using another clipboard was ideal.





Allow it to dry for 15 minutes, then apply a thin layer of mod-podge over the top of the paper.  Allow to dry another 15 minutes and apply a second coat.  Once the second coat has completely dried, add the letter sticker and tie the ribbon on the top.   If bubbles show up during this part, don't panic, they will go away.

 I forgot to take a picture with the ribbon at the top, but I simply cut 6-7" inch strips and double tied the at the top around the hole.  It turned out really cute.


One thing that I discovered, if I used thicker scrapbook paper ( similar to card stock thickness),  it was much easier to smooth out and no bubbles appeared at all.

Simple, useful craft that is easy to make.  Happy crafting!!

No comments:

Post a Comment