Thursday, March 13, 2014

Happy Birthday, Abby!!!





















Eight years ago my life on this earth and the path I was following forever changed when a little red-faced, wiggly, tiny girl was placed in my arms.  Abigail Beth entered into the world at 3:42 am on March 13, 2006 and immediately became a thief when she stole me heart.  I remember during those early days of motherhood, I was so naive, so young.  If I made one mistake, I made a thousand.  But fortunately, children are resilient and I realize, that through the grace of God, something has been done right because I have the most precious daughter to call my own.

As I reflect back, I remember those early morning feedings, sitting in the quiet stillness, just listening to her breathe.  I remember praying for her future.  Praying for her happiness.  Praying for her to make positive choices.  Praying for a future husband that would love her like Christ loved His church.  I prayed for her to be strong, to be a leader and not always follow the crowd.  I even prayed for a sense of humor, because who doesn't like a funny person!

Eight years later, I am still naive and sometimes helpless when dealing with an eight year old.  I've never had one before.  Since she is the oldest, Abby hears me apologizing to her...a lot.  I make just as many mistakes now as I did as a young mother.  Some days, I see the worst in me come out in her when she emulates something I have done or said that I'm not proud of and it makes me want to be a better person.  Then she will act with such grace, maturity, and unbridled enthusiasm that I want to be just like her.  She is an amazing little girl.  Although she is growing up, I sometimes forget how little she still is...eight is still small and I try to cherish and hold on to those things she still does that are just plain little.

Independence, self-esteem issues, peer pressure, driving, and boys are lurking just around the corner and I'm not sure I am ready for it.  But I will continue to pray for her future.  I will continue to pray for God's guidance in our parenting decisions.  I will continue to pray for her happiness.  And I will continue to strive to be the woman my daughter thinks I am.

Abby, you are growing into such a beautiful young lady, on the inside and out.  But what kind of girl are you?

  • You love to sing.  All the time, everywhere.  It may not even be the right words, but you LOVE to sing.  In fact, the other day "Wrecking Ball" came on Pandora.  Instead of singing "I came in like a wrecking ball...", you sang "I came in like a radio...."  :)
  • You are quite the event planner.  About once every two weeks, you organize "Family Fun Night."  There are signs (created by you) and everyone must get a ticket (also created by you).  We then come up to your room and rotate through stations that have different family activities.  We have played games, made book marks, drawn pictures.  One night we even had a talent show!!  They are always really fun and cause lots of laughing!!
  • Hula hooping is your thing....and you are REALLY good!!  You have learned to start with the hula hoop around your neck, then you move it all the way down to your knees, and back up to your waist again.  All while smiling and making it look super easy....it's quite impressive!!
  • You LOVE to draw!  You have all kinds of crayons, markers, colored pencils, and notepads.  You could draw all day long!  I don't know how many notepads you have filled up.  You may have brighten our world, but you've killed a lot of trees!!  
  • You love to write.  If those notepads aren't getting colored in, they are being written in.  You have already written several little stories about a variety of topics.  In addition to this, your handwriting is really good too.
  • You love your brothers!!  They are your biggest buddies and your biggest fan!!  Micah idolizes you and Jude thinks you're his second mommy because you dote on him so much!!  They are so fortunate to have you in their lives.
  • Math is your best subject!!  You really like all things math and can catch onto new concepts really quickly (which is great for this homeschooling mama)!
  • You are very helpful.  Every morning, you pick up your room and make your bed before school.  You help me clean the house, set the table before eating and clear it after eating, dust the furniture.  I may teach you to do the laundry and then all I have to do is cook.   I'm kidding...or am I?
  • You have a cat.  I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  The cat is an awesome hunter.  In fact, she likes to line up the porch with her spoils.  But, she relieves herself in the garage....then you have to clean it up.  So that's not so good.  She is really pretty though.  She has also had three names, so she either is really adaptable or doesn't care.  She started out as Moonlight, then Sweetie Pie, and now it is Katniss, because of her superior hunting skills.
  • You are such a wonderful daughter.  The whole family loves you more than you will ever know.
We love you,
Mommy, Daddy, Micah, and Jude

No comments:

Post a Comment