Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Hello, my name is Rachel and I am an Olympic nerd!



It was 1994. Winter.  I was in the fourth grade at Lynnvale Elementary School.  A student in Mrs. Karen Bland's class.  By my side were those class mates that had been a part of my world since Kindergarten.  I LOVED school, regardless of the classroom activities.  But when Mrs. Bland announced that we were starting a unit in honor of the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, I of course was excited, but had no idea that a love for all things Olympics that would blossom from that unit.

In order to really connect with the games, I portrayed myself as an ice skater.  Two classmates and I would choreograph "short programs" during gym, recess, and any other moment we had to "train."  We perfected our jumps...of course instead of triple axles, we were throwing down half axles.  Nancy Kerrigan was our idol, which meant Tonya Harding was our arch nemesis.  We were totally engrossed in those winter Olympic games.

Then there was class.  Athlete reports, recreating the flags of participating countries, critiquing events from the previous night, updating medal counts each day, learning about new sports....sigh...to be in fourth grade again.  It was so much fun!!!  But all too soon, the closing ceremonies were over and the Olympic flame of the XVII Olympic Winter Games was extinguished.

But my love for the Olympics still burns today.  I LOVE the Olympics!!  I love the fierce competition. I love learning about the host country. I love the stories on the athletes.  I love Olympic trivia and history.  I am a true Olympic nerd!!!  If I had a bucket list, going to the Olympics would definitely be on it....maybe I should start one (but after the Olympics:) ).  Although I enjoy watching both the summer and winter games, my heart has a special place for the Winter Olympics.

Josh and I began dating in the fall of 2002 and were married by the summer of 2004.  In that time, there were no Olympic games, therefore Josh had never actually seen me as a spectator of the games.  In our vows we did not specifically mention the Olympics, but just eight short weeks after the "I do's" were exchanged, the summer Olympics began.  He was only a little afraid of my devotion.  Since then he has faithfully watched each and every Olympics (although I have noticed he's not much of a figure skating fan.)

Now we have offspring....someone I can pass the "torch" to when it comes to loving the Olympics.  So what better way to instill a love and appreciation of the Olympics and the level of competition than be creating a Winter Olympic Unit.

So much can be gleaned from the Olympics...understanding the significance of tenths and hundredths when comparing speeds, geography and the history of those countries, the history of each winter sport, witnessing the commitment of athletes, a lesson in the culture of the host country.  It is a great platform for learning!!!

So I created a pack that has both 2nd grade and preschool activities.  The pack includes Venn diagrams, a medal count sheet with questions for after the Olympics, craft activities, a timeline of Olympic history, a writing prompt, and much more for the 2nd grade level.  For the preschoolers in your life, the Letters G and S are highlighted.  There is also shape review, math activities, a fun matching game, and more.

2014 Winter Olympic Pack

In addition to the pack, we have or plan on completing a variety of other activities:



So I realize that my love of all things Olympic may not be hereditary, but I will not be deterred in trying to force pass it on to the kiddos through a really fun Olympic theme unit!  Happy learning!

2 comments:

  1. Ha! You are not the only Olympic nerd! Right now as I type I sit stewing over watching the UK basketball game instead of my precious Olympics! Blasphemous I know but the Olympics even take precedence over a Cats game!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you girl!! I mean, the kids even want to be fed during the Olympics...crazy:). Maybe we should travel to KY, let the nanas watch the kids, and have an Olympic viewing party:). Of course we have 12 inches of snow and more coming, so travel probably isn't a good idea:)

    ReplyDelete